Starting with ESX 3.0, the ESX Server by default no longer allows root login over ssh. How to 'fix' this?
Warning: ssh root access isn't disabled (just :P ) to annoy to. It's to protect you. Before enabling ssh root access, make sure nobody you don't trust can connect to the ssh server.
- Login on the console of the esx host
- Press alt+f1 to get a login screen
- Login as root
- Type: sed -i "s/PermitRootLogin.*/PermitRootLogin yes/g" /etc/ssh/sshd_config
- Type: service sshd restart
- Logout and get yourself a cup of coffee.