(This article is an update to this original page from march.)
If you can't get these instructions to work, you may try the old instructions.
I recently installed a new Microsoft WSUS server. Most of it went just fine. Except for a few updates that weren't needed according to windowsupdate.com, but were required according to WSUS.
Especially KB974417 was pretty annoying. I tried installing it a dozen times, but after each reboot, WAU came back telling the update was ready to install. I checked out the eventvwr, and got the following useless message:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: HotFixInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5000
Time: 3:06:25 PM
EventType visualstudio8setup, P1 microsoft .net framework 2.0-kb974417, P2 1033, P3 1642, P4 msi, P5 f, P6 9.0.40302.0, P7 install, P8 x86, P9 w2k3r2, P10 0.
Installing it manually
I downloaded the file from the Microsoft website, to find that the update itself thought itwasn't needed as well: None of the products that are addressed by this software update are installed on this computer. Click Cancel to exit setup.
So what I did:
- Run NDP20SP2-KB974417-x86.exe -X
- In the "choose directory" box, enter "C:\geeklab"
- Then go to c:\geeklab, using explorer
- Doubleclick the file NDP20SP2-KB974417.msp to install
- Reboot your computer
- Start wuauclt.exe /detectnow to speed up update detection.
- Wait for WAU to synchronise with the WSUS server. When it asks to install "the update", allow it. Windows Update will detect the update is already deployed in a second and remove the yellow icon from the taskbar. The computer will disappear from the "updates needed" reports in 5 minutes to an hour.
I tested this on Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server. It may work on other versions of Windows as well, but I haven't tested that.
Please please please link this page on any website or forum discussing KB974417 problems.© GeekLabInfo KB974417 install fails - working solution! - updated is a post from GeekLab.info. You are free to copy materials from GeekLab.info, but you are required to link back to http://www.geeklab.info