My brand new Dell R300 servers contain a PERC H200 SAS/SATA controller that has pretty bad firmware. Luckily, Dell released better firmware, but you'll need to update it yourself.
- Install and boot RedHat 5.6 or CentOS 5.6
- Download the file RAID_FRMW_LX_R294620.BIN from the Dell support site
- run yum install compat-libstdc++-33 to install libstdc++ compatibility functions required for the RAID_FRMW_LX_R294620.BIN file.
- also run yum install libxml2 to install required xml libs
- make RAID_FRMW_LX_R294620.BIN executable chmod +x RAID*
- and run it: ./RAID_FRMW_LX_R294620.BIN